A flavour-packed recipe from One: Pot, Pan, Planet, pink onions, the new cookbook by Anna Jones.
This stew brings charred aubergines to a pan with peanuts, peanut butter and lots of chilli and spice. The onions add a shock of acid and neon pink. I love red-skinned peanuts. They are a great source of ufabet protein and in the summer we soak them in cold water, which makes them more nutritious, keeping them in the fridge to eat with fruit for our breakfast.
AUBERGINE & PEANUT STEW WITH PINK ONIONS
- 150g unsalted red-skinned peanuts
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 white onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- 2 bay leaves
For the pink onions
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
In a heatproof bowl soak the peanuts in 500ml boiling water, leaving to soak until they need to be added to the stew.
Put a large saucepan or casserole dish over your highest heat, add the chopped aubergines and dry-fry, turning regularly, until browned on all sides. This will take about 5 or 6 minutes and you may need to do it in batches depending on the size of your pan.